7.06.2009

Garlic and Sapphires

The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise


As I was searching for a font type for this post, I figured Times was the most appropriate because the author of this book, Ruth Reichl worked as the food critic for the New York Times.

This recollection of her ordeals as a critic was a refreshing change to the monotonous series of "Young Adult" literature I have surrounded myself with throughout the last couple years. My mom's friend heard I was intending to go to culinary school and recommended both this and Tender at the Bone, which is by the same author. I began with Tender at the Bone, well mostly because I got it from the library first, but also because it was written first. Ruth describes her life growing up cooking and finding food can become a career, not just a passion. She remarks on her journey and growing into the food enthusiast she is today.


Before I began these two books I thought I may want to pursue the same path. Love food, learn about food, make money talking about food. But its become evident the process isn't so easy. The stress involved with being a food critic is enough to scare anyone away. But the intense passion for food that can be translated to paper is transfixing. What I admire most about Ruth's role as the food critic for the New York Times is her honesty. She doesn't write just for the people who can afford to go to fancy restaurants all the time, but also for people who can only go once a year and want to know what to really expect. Through Garlic and Sapphires Ruth recaps all the disguises she creates so she wont be recognized as she reviews New York's best restaurants. These costumes become more then just that, they become characters. She embraces fully the personalities, voices, and thoughts of the women she becomes. With the help of her new disguises she is able to see the true colors of the top restaurants many people are paying to eat at. She comes to find that the taste of the food isn't the only thing that creates a good dinner, it's also largely the atmosphere and service of the restaurant. As a poor and homely women she gets thrown to the side and ignored. The food is more then mediocre and even though she is putting on an act she still embraces the embarrassment of being mistreated. When she comes back as herself, she is treated as a Queen. The Chef sends out his best food, the sommelier serves her the best wine and the waiter dances around her every need. She is in awe of her fantastic treatment but astonished at the difference.

Garlic and Sapphires
has given me an appreciation for food and the creativity and passion that goes into making an unforgettable meal. The adventure that is Ruth Reichl's life is one of excitement and appreciation. She is a knowledgable writer and chef, and I hope I can acheieve even half of what she has done and earned in her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment