8.28.2009

China Palace

So it wasn't much of a palace. Really just a regular Chinese place, among many others scattered throughout Englewood. A group of friends and I walked in and noticed at around one in the afternoon that the dining room wasn't occupied by any other people besides an elderly couple. The man in the group was wearing a green bib with John Deer tractors on it. So to say the least, it wasn't really a fancy restaurant. We sat down and we're pleased that before even asking the waitress filled all our glasses with ice water and set down two kettles of hot tea. I was surprised because at most of the Chinese restaurants I had been to, the customer always had to ask first. We were each given a lunch menu with offered large portions of food for a very reasonable price (only about $6.00 a meal), which was good news because we're all soon to be poor college students. If I can remember correctly there were 4 proteins, a few vegetarian options and then a list underneath each with popular dishes. Chicken, pork, beef, vegetable and tofu seemed to be what they were. So no there wasn't any duck or anything to that extent on the lunch menu, but still a farely nice array of choices. After we all decided what we wanted (Szechuan Chicken for me, Sweet and Sour Chicken for one friend, Chicken and Broccoli for another, Sweet and Sour Pork, and Mongolian Beef for the last), we had more choices to make. With our meal came soup, an appetizer, and choice of rice. Our group isn't a very risky group so for soup I chose Egg Drop, a friend chose Wonton, two chose Hot and Sour, and the last picked Vegetable Beef. I don't think our appetizer choices went much further then Crab Rangoon because we all loved them. Except one friend who gave us hers to fight over. I chose white rice, and I think the rest of the group chose fried rice. We were first served our soup and given enough time to actually finish it before moving to the main meal. I really enjoyed my Egg Drop soup, the Hot and Soup was tastey and so was the Wonton. The Vegetable Beef was good enough but I wouldn't have ordered it because it was a little plain. When our meals came we were served a generous portion of rice, two Rangoons, and a decent amount of the meat and vegetables in my case. The sauce was very good on my dish and so was the chicken but the vegetables were a bit of a let down. A few baby corns, a couple water chestnuts, and then the rest was chunks of onion and something else I couldn't identify. It kept reminding me of cabbage but I don't think thats right. So never the less, I avoided most of the veggies. The Crab Rangoons were some of the best I ever had. Some of my friends said it was because the cream cheese ratio was higher then the crab. At the end of the meal I didn't need a box because I had easily eaten all of the food because it was all very good. But I defintely was not ready for dessert. We each paid up at the counter and left a few dollars each at the table. As we left we were pleased with the meal and glad for the relaxing time we had at a pleasant resturant. I would go again if I wasn't moving and I suggest to anyone reading this who lives in the Dayton, OH area to visit as well. China Palace is located at 375 W. National Road in Englewood across from Marion's Pizza and right beside the Police Department. Go for a relatively cheap meal, that promises a large portion and good service.

I love Chinese not only for the food but also for the fortune cookies. Here are some of my favorite fortunes I've gotten.


Happiness lies in good health and a bad memory.

What's vice today may be virtue tomorrow.

You have a strong desire for home and your family comes first.

Happy news is on its way to you.

As every thread of gold is valuable, so is every moment of time.

Nothing in the world is accomplished without passion.

Find release from your cares, have fun.

Cooks know the secret to delicious, nutritious meals. It takes time.


Comment with your favorite fortune cookie quotes =)

2 comments:

  1. You will have many children.... Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fate is full of irony, What you dish out will come back for you

    Your road to glory will be rocky rocky, but fulfilling

    A decision you make today will shape the rest of your life
    -and it did-

    youre doing great emily.. i love reading your stuff =]

    ReplyDelete