8.27.2009

Ohio to North Carolina

The big move happens in three days! I've been waiting and counting the months, weeks and days with anticipation, and though I'm still very excited I'm becoming more and more anxious. Eight hours and almost five hundred miles away from home is where my stupid butt decided to move. What the heck was I thinking?! Alright, I know I can do it, and it's all I ever wanted since I found out when I was young that people actually get paid to cook! It still seems like the classes I'm going to be taking should be more of a hobby then actual preparation for a job. Geese, but never the less, moving that far from home isn't something I would normally do by choice. But this is what I keep telling myself, I'd be moving at this time anyways no matter where I went. So yes, it would have been easier to go someplace an hour away instead of eight but I have to keep remembering I'm doing this for a reason.

Everything's gonna be alright, I can do this.... Everything's gonna be alright, I can do this

As far as class schedules go, I think I got off pretty good. Labs Monday-Thursday 145-745. I have each lab for about two and a half weeks and then I switch to something else. So here my classes are, in descending order of when I take them.


Essentials of Dining Room
Students are introduced to front-of-the-house (FOH) operations and professional dining service techniques. Etiquette, quality service, positive guest relations, effective communication skills and guest check handling are emphasized. Students actively perform hot and cold food and beverage service using various service techniques. Students will be prepared and take the Federation of Dining Room Professionals Associate Certification exam as an outcome assessment.
3.000 Credit hours
3.000 Lecture hours

Introduction to Baking and Pastry
Production includes basic breads and rolls, laminated dough, muffins, quick breads, cookies and pies. Proper use of the baker's scale, liquid measurement and equipment identification are a primary focus for this course.
3.000 Credit hours
3.000 Lecture hours

Stocks, Soups, and Sauces
Students are introduced to cooking techiques of simmering and boiling. Lecture, demonstration and production focus on stocks, sauces, soups and related ingredients. The proper use of knives, tools, smallwares and equipment will be emphasized.
3.000 Credit hours
3.000 Lecture hours

Traditional European Cuisine
Students are introduced to the cooking techniques of braising and stewing. Lecture, demonstration and production revolve around traditional European cuisine, ingredients and plate presentations.
3.000 Credit hours
3.000 Lecture hours

New World Cuisine
Students are introduced to cooking techniques of grilling/broiling, roasting and deep-frying. Lecture, demonstration and production revolve around North, Central and South American cuisine, ingredients and plate presentations. The proper use of knives and basic vegetable cuts is emphasized.
3.000 Credit hours
3.000 Lecture hours


So wish me luck! And thanks to the few people that check my blog regularly, that's you Fraley =)

No comments:

Post a Comment